Thursday, March 14, 2013

homemade beauty products.

Being on the GAPS diet AND being in the Nutrition Therapy program, makes one very aware of toxins.

Not just toxins we could be ingesting through food...
but toxic chemicals that we are putting on our body every day.

Did you know that everything we put on our body, goes in our body?.... in only 26 seconds, that stuff will enter our bloodstream. I don't know about you, but that is frightening to me.

Did you know that the average woman puts 300-500 chemicals on their body before they leave the house in the morning? Ew.

Have you tried to read the ingredients on your shampoo, face wash, lotion, deodorant, etc. lately? I bet you can't read, pronounce, or define what most of them are. Two rules that I am now trying to live by are:

If you wouldn't eat it, don't put it on your body.
If you can't pronounce it, don't use it.

This video provides some great information about just how dangerous some of these commercial products can be, as well as some natural alternatives:


So, I've been trying to make a gradual change to get rid of most of my beauty products. I'm a total DIY kind of gal, plus I like to save money anywhere I can, so I've actually made most of my replacements. There are SO many recipes available out there that literally cost pennies and only take seconds to make.

Out with the old.


In with the new.

I don't have recipes to tell you exactly what I did, but they are all pretty self explanatory. 
Here are some of the players:


For my lotion:
  • Coconut Oil
  • A few drops of body oil (Whole Foods)


--> whipped together with an electric mixer

For my hair care:
[I am going "no poo" style. Shampoo and Conditioner are SO rough on your hair, and completely unnecessary. They are full of chemical additives that strip your hair of natural oils.]
Shampoo:
  • Water
  • Baking Soda 


Conditioner:
  • Water
  • Apple Cider Vinegar


Face Wash:
[I use the Oil Cleansing Method]
  • Olive oil
  • Castor oil
Deodorant:
  • Coconut Oil
  • Baking Soda
  • Arrowroot Powder
  • A few drops of Lavender essential oil


I've also switched to Dr. Bronners Organic Hand & Body Soap and a Rosewater & Glycerin tonic for my face. What is next on the list? Making my own laundry detergent and cleaning products. It is quite the fun adventure. I encourage you all to take a second look at those labels and think about what changes you might need to make in order to protect your body better from toxic chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment