Friday, July 27, 2012

two weeks.

Well, I am almost two weeks into this new journey. The first week was.... rough. As my body adjusted to having no sugar/caffeine/carbs as well as starting the medicine, plus getting over some sort of bacterial infection from Haiti.... saying it was a rough doesn't even come close to describing it. Even though it hurt, it also felt good to know that my body was going through such an intense period of detoxification. Clean slate. Fresh start.

The last week has been good. I've been eating mainly chicken, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, bell peppers, garlic, onions, almond butter, coconut oil/milk/unsweetened coconut pieces, jicama, carrots, lemon, eggs, millet, cinnamon, and stevia. That is pretty much it! I've been experimenting with new recipes and am loving the challenge to find new and exciting ways to cook with these flavors. I am also taking Vitamin D, Vitamin B, Iron (for my Anemia), Spirulina, Echinacea, Milk Thistle, and Blue Heron. It has been quite a change. It is a mental change, a physical change, and a lifestyle change.

It is an amazing feeling knowing that everything I am putting in my body is natural, free of pesticides and isn't genetically modified or processed. When I sometimes feel as though it is a daunting task to keep up with it all, I remember that the steps I am taking now are going to impact my health for the rest of my life. It is absolutely crazy how much we obsess about food and continue to put things into our body that have no nutritional value. I have had to shift my mindset from sometimes thinking about food as a social thing, a comfort thing, or an "I'm bored, let's eat" thing, to thinking of food as fuel and nutrition for my body to maintain good health.

The more research I do, the more I am blown away by the impacts that diet can have on disease, infection, mental illness, etc. I am finding myself consumed with researching and educating myself on my condition and nutrition as a whole. I am fortunate to have a dear friend, Rachele, who is going through something very similar. She has been one of my best friends since 7th grade and although at times our lives have taken us on separate paths, our current condition is bringing us close together. We both have a passion for nutrition and helping others and I am in awe that I can already see so much good and so much joy coming out of our struggles. I truly believe that through our struggles, we are discovering what we want to do for a career and that we are being led to a new and exciting place in our lives.

I've been wrestling with going back to school for a Masters degree but haven't been able to decide what program or where. I haven't felt any sort of peace about it. But as of tonight, I think I know what is next. I think I found a way to combine my passion for nutrition and healthy eating, helping people, working with children, working with people with disabilities, and offering support/advice/mentoring.... Nutrition Therapy. Right now, I am so thankful that I am going through a tough season and can't wait to see what is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment