Welp, I'm up early making corn bread for class. Yes that is right, I am making food for a college class. (This week we've been studying African American culture and each Thursday someone brings a typical food from that culture). I was dreading summer school SOOO much.... BUT I have been blessed with not only the easiest class, but also a very interesting one complete with one of the most amazing teachers I've ever had. I actually wake up excited to go to school most days and it has been a long time since that has happened to me.
I have always loved school. Growing up it was always my "thing." I always got straight A's, enjoyed my classes, and loved my teachers. Since high school though that has been changing. Last semester I was blessed with a really amazing Family Studies teacher whom I developed a really great relationship with. Besides that though, college teachers/classes have not been the most enjoyable thing. I love my major and do enjoy most of those classes but it makes me sad that I haven't had many other classes the past 3 years that I've been excited to go to or feel like I have learned anything valuable from.
Well this summer I am taking a humanities course at Pima (my first Pima experience). My teacher is 77. He is one of the most interesting human beings I've ever met. He tells us stories about remembering Pearl Harbor, working on the Mexico border, teaching in China, being in the same town when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was killed, etc. He is also a believer and every once in a while when we are analyzing short stories that we read, he will bring up biblical facts and Christian beliefs, which I enjoy quite a bit. Also, small world.... he was saved in Young Life WAY back in the day. Basically, I just really enjoy his enthusiasm for teaching us about different cultures. It makes me wish all teachers had that passion for teaching shining through them every class period. That is how it should be!
No comments:
Post a Comment